Image by didkovskaya on Flickr

Sunday 19 May 2013

Some thoughts before we head out to Ukraine

Yuri, Lev, and I will be travelling to Ukraine for a few weeks to visit some of it's beautiful cities, meet some of Yuri's family, and spend some time in the towns and villages where my father's family lived. I have never blogged before so I am not sure how easy it will be to write after long days on the road and from hotel rooms with limited wifi. But, I intend to treat this blog as a travel diary, where I will write when I have a chance, and will post photos as I am able. It will be a learning process so I apologize in advance for its flaws. But I do hope you will come along for the ride!

'They' always say that you should keep your audience in mind when you write. This could be a little difficult as I expect to have a rather eclectic audience. I am hoping family and friends will follow to see how we're doing, our parents (and grandparents) will want to know if we are healthy (and happy), and some may follow because they are interested in Ukraine or my genealogical pursuits. Whoever you are, I hope that you'll find something of interest in this blog.

In the meantime, I look forward to talking to you again after our arrival in Kyiv. I will use the Ukrainian spelling of towns and cities, so if you are not familiar with the spelling of Kiev, that's okay. Just think of how much you will learn by the end of our trip! :)

До побачення / See you later! 

2 comments:

  1. Love following along!! Great posts and fun to see the sights in photos (I also love those hanging Ukrainian dolls.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying the posts Barbara. Lev and I are having fun writing them, especially as they give us a chance to use some of our many photos and remember bits of our days. We loved the hanging Ukrainian dolls too! If I had more room in our little house (and could come up with a reason to buy them, I would have!). We'll keep trying to write every day but need to balance it with sleeping :). On that note, it's off to bed for us!

      Delete